Nothing against flat mail, it’s just that Pretty Hot and Tempting (PHAT) mail, also known as lumpy mail and dimensional mail, has much more going for it. It can simultaneously appeal to emotions, trigger intrigue and look official or important making it irresistible to open. We’re talking about dimensional mail that screams “pay attention to me!”
The use of promotional products as an incentive to respond generated four times as many responses as a sales letter alone (PPAI 2017). People are bombarded with all sorts of electronic messaging, ads and offers. Direct mail isn’t as cluttered and it’s the only strategy that doesn’t rely on an evolving computer-generated algorithm to get your message in front of your target market. The Data & Marketing Association data backs it up: Large envelopes have a response rate of nearly 50 percent higher than that of letter-sized envelopes. Add some bulk to that envelope or include something that squishes, jiggles and even jingles, and you’ve made it near to impossible to be ignored.
The DMA tested neuro-marketing research in direct mail and found that three things ring true:
- Be bold. Humans have an attention span of 8 seconds. Marketing that cuts through the clutter with attention-getting graphics and copy are paramount to success.
- Visuals rule. In fact, the brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than the time it takes the brain to decode text. Selling your story with pictures and graphics is a must.
- Keep it simple. Due to cognitive fluency, the brain craves ease and order. Direct mail that creates a simple decision path with limited copy and explanation always tests better.
But what if your budget doesn’t allow for a beefed up dimensional mail piece?
We’ve got a solution for that. Add a ride-along. A ride-along is a light-weight promotional piece that doesn’t require additional postage. It fits inside the envelope you’re already planning to use and won’t impact your mail cost. For short money you can add SWAG that reinforces your marketing message and keeps your brand in front of the recipient. Promotional items like car magnets, tech tattoos and cleaning cloths can give you a great bang for your buck without blowing your budget.
Because it’s not lumpy and it doesn’t jiggle or jingle, don’t forget to let the recipient know there’s something in it for them if they take the time to open your mail piece. Bright colored envelopes catch the eye especially when it’s printed with “FREE” and an eye-catching description of what they get if they open the envelope. You’re already printing the envelope with an address so including your call to action in the same print color shouldn’t increase your costs.
While dimensional mail comes in many different forms, don’t forget to focus on five core attributes that we’ve found exponentially increase ROI.
- Very targeted
- Has a clear and compelling call to action
- Has a “wow” factor
- Is long lasting – customers will use it
- Is consistent and integrated with your marketing campaign
For more information on direct mail campaigns contact us. 508-405-4506